Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) is an crucial part of the work we do at the school throughout the time that our pupils are with us. Our hope is that we successfully prepare pupils for life after their time at Up Holland High School. Clearly exam results are a huge part of this but we also aim to inform and advise pupils about the post-16 pathways open to them. We do this in a number of ways which, in 2016/17, included;
- Careers information as part of the year 9 options process.
- Mock job interviews for all year 10 pupils.
- Careers sampling events to give pupils a taste of possible employment pathways.
- Links with and visits to FE colleges and universities.
- Provision of information and guidance on apprenticeship and traineeships.
- Academic taster sessions at our local colleges.
We have links with many local colleges and other post-16 providers including West Lancashire College, St. John Rigby College, Winstanley College and Skills Solutions – a company providing apprenticeship opportunities for school leavers. In addition to this we are expanding our links with other colleges in the area such as Wigan and Leigh College and Runshaw College. The school also works closely with others in the West Lancashire Partnership to arrange events for pupils across the region. There is a dedicate careers section in our Careers and Enterprise Room and college prospectuses, as well as details of their open evenings and other events, are available from Mrs Farren, Careers Co-ordinator.
‘Marisa Sixsmith, Career North, Careers Adviser
A highly qualified and experienced Careers Guidance Practitioner who has extensive experience over 27 years, Marisa has successfully motivated, inspired and enabled 1000s of young people to make informed career choices. Marisa’s warmth, commitment and enthusiasm enables her to quickly establish rapport with young people and she ensures students receive accurate and up-to-date information at every step of their education.
Following your son/daughter’s Career Conversation with Marisa she will provide them with a detailed Action Plan. Please ask to see it as it will help them with their career planning.
Local University Websites:
- Universities and Colleges Admissions Service:http://www.ucas.co.uk/
- University of Central Lancashire:http://www.uclan.ac.uk/
- Lancaster University : http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/
- University of Liverpool:http://www.liv.ac.uk/
- Liverpool John Moores University:http://www.livjm.ac.uk/
- Liverpool Hope College:http://www.hope.ac.uk/
- Edge Hill College:http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/
- The Liverpool Institute for PerformingArts:http://www.lipa.ac.uk
- The University of Manchester: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/
- The Manchester Metropolitan University: http://www.mmu.ac.uk
- Local Government Jobs:http://www.lgcnet.com/
- Academic Careers Vacancies:http://www.academiccareers.com/
- Appointments for Teachers:http://www.eteach.com/
- Appointments for Teachers:http://www.tes.co.uk/
- Healthcare Jobs: www.nhscareers.nhs.uk
- British Veterinary Association:http://www.bva.co.uk/
- R.S.P.C.A.:http://www.rspca.org.uk/ Feature
- Institute of Plumbing: http://www.ciphe.org.uk/
- Industry Training Board:http://www.ecitb.org.uk/
- Institute of Civil Engineers: http://www.ice.org.uk/homepage/index.asp